Thursday, September 9, 2010

3G or not 3G?

As I mentioned, much of the good stuff on the iPad is crippled if you don't have internet access. So what should you buy? iPad WiFi and rely on work/home wifi and hotspots when you're out and about, or iPad WiFi+3G?


I can't really comment directly on the 3G enabled iPad. In my experience with the iPhone, 3G coverage is patchy - goodish in most urban areas, spotty and inconsistent on the road or train (my carrier is three).  I have good WiFi at home and at work, and can live without coverage when I am travelling (largely because if I need it I can use my phone instead).


Also, as I understand it you have to get a microsim from your carrier which will tie you in to a monthly contract. Another (cheaper) alternative would be to get the WiFi iPad, then buy a MiFi (about €80) on a pay as you go basis. That way you avoid the contract and pay just for what you need. You can also use your MiFi to connect other devices.


And before you ask, no you can't 'tether' an iPhone and iPad so that the iPad uses the phone's 3G connection - at least not unless you jailbreak the devices. And we wouldn't want ot upset evil Uncle Steve now would we?

No comments:

Post a Comment