Friday, February 18, 2011

Flipboard

Someone without an iPad asked me to post some pictures of what Flipboard looks like, and how it displays the RSS feed from the twitter account I am using to push content. Delighted to oblige!

To the left is a Flipboard Contents (or home) screen. You can have up to three of these, and each can contain up to 9 tiles as shown here. Each of the tiles represents a feed to which I subscribe, including as you can see here feeds from Nature and New Scientist. These tiles update each time you open Flipboard, reflecting changes in the underlying content (if changes have occurred), so that although the same tiles appear on each contents page, the image on each tile updates. Tapping a tile opens the feed or account to which you are subscribing. You can see one of my own feeds in the tile on the lower left.




Here's what my Histology_AN505 feed looks like when I tap on its tile on the contents page. It shows three 'articles' in a magazine or newspaper like layout. The 'articles' are actually blog posts and the images are drawn from these posts also.Each time I update the blog it sends an RSS feed to a twitter account indicating that a new article has been added. Flipboard examines the twitter feed and 'scrapes' the content the twitter feed points to, including any images included in the blog post. Then Flipboard magically decides how to lay the page out to look nice. I think it does so very well most of the time.
The entire blog post does not appear in this view in Flipboard, just the first couple of hundred words or wherever you have specified the jump break tobe. To see the full article you need to tap on the summary. The summary expands and above it you see a link to the original content (see image below). Below you see the content in a kind of Flipboard browser that allows you to read the full article within Flipboard (see image below). Links, video etc in the blog post work in this FlipBoard browser window.

I think it looks good and I'm certainly pleased with it. Hope you like it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment