Tuesday, February 22, 2011

More on File sharing

Dropbox will help me get files onto my iPad when I am not in a position to sync, but what about going the opposite direction? Say I work on a file on the iPad on the way to work, then arrive and want to access or use the file on my office PC (assuming I don't sync my iPad with my work PC). Unfortunately I can't save my work to Dropbox from the iPad (except pictures). Fortunately there is a way to transfer iWork files off the iPad without syncing (at least for now).
iWork applications for the iPad (Keynote, Pages, Numbers) have the option to export files to iWork.com, a public beta of an Apple cloud service, presently free. To use the service, save a file to iWork and log in using your AppleID and password. You will be sent a confirmation email. Open it and click to verify your email address then resend your file to iWork (you only need to do this the first time you activate iWork.com beta). Now log on to iWork.com using your browser on your PC. You can download the file onto your PC either as a pdf or in Office format (if you're using a Mac you can download and edit in iWork format) or you can view the file and comment on it directly in the browser.

The legalese associated with the iWork beta indicates the service is free for now but may require a fee in the future.

This seems like a lot of work to move files around and indeed it is, even taking into account the fact that you are also switching between different OS. If all of your devices are Apple then you need only use iWork because you can open and edit files in iWork on your desktop/laptop Mac, and export back to iWork. For those of us still using multiple devices with differing OS, this is the best (free) way I have found to deal with the problem. I am certain that within 12 months cloud services will make this problem go away, but I don't know if the solution will be free.
Just remember that you can set your iPad up to sync with multiple computers, and as long as you control what is synced and when, and as long as you have the cables at each of the computers with which you sync (or carry the cable with your iPad), then you need not worry about the convoluted method outlined above.

No comments:

Post a Comment